Stephanie Cheung is a multidisciplinary designer with a background in Architecture, Interior Design, and Illustration. She was born and raised in Hong Kong and completed her B.Arch at Cornell University (2013-2018). She has since worked in industry in New York, Hong Kong and London on large scale commercial and residential projects. Outside of Architecture, she illustrates for design firms around the world. As a result of her illustrations, she has been invited to speak at Syracuse University and was profiled on Madame Architect as an up-and-coming designer.
Stephanie believes that well designed spaces start from a strong foundation of community engagement and research. As a result, she believes that bringing people together through discussion and collaboration contributes to improved camaraderie, community, and later design. She currently serves as student rep for her cohort and leads the RCA’s only student-led lecture series, Inside/Out. She finds that pre-design, which involves research and analysis, as the most critical and rewarding phase of the design process. She hopes to leverage her technical skills, as well as varied experiences in storytelling and leadership to examine, scrutinise, and interpret user insights, and translate them into a compelling project vision.
Her chosen platform - ‘Matter’, celebrates a way of experimental learning that revolves around the study of materials with a playful and tactile approach. Her current project at the RCA touches on her personal interests in the diasporic experience, community engagement and zooming in between the urban, architectural and interior scales.
Recent Exhibitions & Publications:
- Models Architecture • Nov 2022 - Jun 2023 | Four pieces of work at the Royal College of Art (CS Faraday , Material Follies, a model from her Midterm Review, and Final Model) were discovered, selected and posted on the online publication ‘Architecture Models'. The account has a reach of 113K followers with work from practices and students from around the world. This online feature was celebrated in the Royal College of Art school newsletter.
- Royal Academy • Mar - May 2022 | Her work, 'Translations | John Hejduk's Prison House' has been selected to be exhibited at the Ronald and Rita McAulay Gallery at the Royal Academy.
- Madame Architect • Aug 2021 | Her illustrations were spotlighted in 'Creative Complements' and 'Day's With' Series.
- Association Vol 8 & 12 • Dec 2016, Dec 2021 | Illustrations featured in publication (2021). Competition entry with Elie Boutros and Justin Foo, Typhoon Submarine, featured in publication (2016)
- Crain's New York Business & NYCxDESIGN Awards • Dec 2020 | Work associated with Gensler, NY was nominated and awarded the Coolest Office in New York in the Retrofit Category.
- Model Perspectives: Structure, Architecture & Culture • Aug 2016 | Structural model of the Abedian School of Architecture by CRAB Studio featured in the publication. Project was made in collaboration with Christopher Andras.