Chinese mixed media artist Zheng Yuan explores the intricate interplay between organic and artificial processes, utilizing AI technology as a key tool in his artistic practice. At the core of his work lies a fascination with simulating symbiotic models that envision a novel organic state of harmony between humanity and plant life. In these models, humans are deliberately portrayed as non-dominant agents, challenging the conventional Anthropocentric paradigm and emphasizing their equal standing with other living organisms.
Through his speculative art projects, Zheng Yuan prompts viewers to critically reassess their connection to the natural world and contemplate their place within the evolving landscape of the post-human era. By blurring the boundaries between humans and plants, he seeks to catalyse a shift in perspective, inviting a re-evaluation of our relationship with nature and an exploration of alternative modes of coexistence.
With an explicit focus on symbiosis and a commitment to pushing the boundaries of artistic expression, Zheng Yuan's work serves as a catalyst for introspection and dialogue. By questioning human dominance and embracing a more inclusive worldview, he endeavours to ignite transformative conversations about the intricate interconnectedness of all life forms and the urgent need for a harmonious cohabitation within our shared ecosystem.
Recent exhibitions include:
- Flowers, Zhujiajiao No.name Studio, China, Shanghai. Winter 2020
- Before Tomorrow, Art in Crisis Art Exhibition, Royal College of Art, London. May 2021
- Plantasia, Singapore National Arts Week, Digital Media Art Exhibition, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur. Spring 2023
- 'RCA2023' Graduate Show, The Truman Brewery, London. 13 - 16 July 2023
- One of the creators of the visual background, Coronation Concert of the King of England, London. Spring 2023