Eileen White is a UK artist, based in Winchester, Hampshire. She graduated from Goldsmiths College, University of London, with a BA in Fine Art Textiles and is now studying for a postgraduate Master's Degree in Print at the Royal College of Art.
While at the Royal College of Art, she was awarded a Distinction for her Critical and Historical Studies dissertation, titled 'Chorography, The analogue print as a Site for Re-imagination', This body of research was a theoretical attempt to create an alternative, tactile and authentic way of mapping a relationship to place by exploring wider relationships, perspectives and entanglements to time, space and materials.
Her practice is multi-disciplinary and reflects her interest in sustainability, materials, science and history by responding to historic landscapes in the broadest sense, using a variety of analogue and alternative photographic processes alongside bookmaking.
Her work at the Royal College of Art was created in response to a residency at the Chelsea Physic Garden, unearthing hidden stories and relationships to the wider environment. Her work is linked to a deep concern for Nature and Memory as well as exploring the materiality of print and lens-based media.
She has exhibited in many galleries as well as in heritage and museum organisations, such as English Heritage and The National Trust. Her publications are held in collections both in the UK and abroad.
Recent exhibitions include:
- ‘The 3RD-Floor’, Royal College of Art, London. November 2022
- ‘Nature’s Endurance’, Artworks, The Everybody School of Art, Halifax. March 2023 - May 2023
- ‘Beyond Silver’, London Alternative Photographic Collective, The Hive, Birmingham. March - April 2023
- ‘Twofold’, Southwark Park Galleries, London. March 2023
- ‘WAAITT’, Easter Gallery, Hackney, London. April 2023
- ‘BRINK’, 2030 Collective, Hanger Gallery, Royal College of Art, London. May 2023
- ‘PhotoFrome’, Frome Library, Somerset. 24 June - 12 July 2023
- 'RCA2023' Graduate Show, The Truman Brewery, London. 13 - 16 July 2023
Eileen will be teaching photographic workshops as part of The Sustainable Darkroom instagram.com/sustainabledarkroom and Chelsea Physic Garden https://www.chelseaphysicgarden.co.uk/visit/whats-on/ later this year, as well as exhibiting work as part of The Yard Studios Open in Winchester, instagram.com/the_yard-studios